Wharton State Forest-Pinelands National Reserve
The porch columns, made of cast iron water pipes, were likely made at Weymouth Furnace, another iron furnace owned by Richards. Inside, a large center hall connects the north door, the carriage entrance, and the south porch.
Off the hallway are large rooms with marble fireplaces. Each of the 14 rooms in the mansion has its own fireplace. Cooking and food preparation were done in the cellar where there is an eight-food open hearth fireplace. The cool cellar also included a meat room and milk room to help keep provisions fresh.
In 1954 the State of New Jersey purchased the mansion as part of what is now Wharton State Forest.
(Inscription under the photos in the upper center)
Samuel Richards (1769-1842) and wife, Anna Marie Richards (1763-1860). Miniatures by George Hewitt Cushman (Courtesy of the late Harriet Richards Jeter Robeson and the Frick Art Reference Library)
(Inscriptions under the photos in the lower part)
The mansion was in dire disrepair before the State of New Jersey took
The New Jersey Division of Parks & Forestry, the Pinelands Commission, and the National Park Service are working together to “enhance public understanding, awareness, and appreciation of natural and cultural resources” of the Pinelands National Reserve.
Erected by National Park Service-United States Department of the Interior, State of New Jersey Division of Parks & Foresty, State of New Jersey Pinelands Commission.
Location. 39° 44.514′ N, 74° 43.536′ W. Marker is in Shamong, New Jersey, in Burlington County. Marker is at the intersection of Quaker Bridge Road and U.S. 206 on Quaker Bridge Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vincentown NJ 08088, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 151 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.