Center of Arts and Culture
The Historic City of Burlington
(Inscription under the photo in the upper center)
James Fenimore Cooper, author of the Leatherstocking Tales.
(Inscription under the photos at the bottom)
In 1757 The Library Company of Burlington was chartered by British monarch King George II. The library still operates under that charter.—The original Herman T. Costello Lyceum Hall.---Birch’s Opera House occupied the site of the present Post Office.
Erected by Burlington County Historical Society and the Lyceum Hall Center for the Arts.
Location. 40° 4.597′ N, 74° 51.467′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Birthplaces (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ockanickon (about 700 feet away); Office of the Council of Proprietors and the Surveyor General (about 700 feet away); Grant House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old St. Mary’s (approx. 0.2 miles away); Founding of St. Mary’s Parish (approx. 0.2 miles away); New St. Mary’s (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Isaac Collins House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Burlington.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 116 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.