Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tallahassee in Leon County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Fort Park

 
 
Old Fort Park Marker (Front) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 6, 2014
1. Old Fort Park Marker (Front)
Inscription.
Front
This earth work located on ground once part of the plantation of E.A. Houston, father of Captain Patrick Houston (later state adjutant general) who commanded the Confederate artillery at the Battle of Natural Bridge, is a silent witness of the efforts of the citizens of Tallahassee to protect the capitol of Florida from capture by federal troops under General John Newton.
Continued on Opposite Side


Reverse
Continued from Opposite Side
Newton's force landed at St. Marks light house and advanced up the east side of the St. Marks River, only to be decisively repulsed at Natural Bridge on March 6, 1865, by a hurriedly assembled Confederate force commanded by General Sam Jones, which included a company of cadets from the West Florida Seminary, now Florida State University.
 
Location. 30° 25.779′ N, 84° 16.006′ W. Marker is in Tallahassee, Florida, in Leon County. Marker is at the intersection of Seminole Drive and Santa Rosa Drive, on the left when traveling north on Seminole Drive. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1233 Seminole Drive, Tallahassee FL 32301, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured
Old Fort Park Marker (Reverse) image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 6, 2014
2. Old Fort Park Marker (Reverse)
as the crow flies. Governor John W. Martin House (approx. half a mile away); De Soto Winter Encampment Site 1539~1540 (approx. half a mile away); Chandler's Tourist Camp (approx. 0.9 miles away); Florida A&M University (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Florida A&M University Hospital (1911-1971) (approx. 0.9 miles away); John Gilmore Riley House (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Union Bank of Florida (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named The Florida A&M University Hospital (1911-1971) (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Tallahassee.
 
Regarding Old Fort Park. A second, identical marker is located at N 30 25.782 W 084 16.056 down Santa Rosa Drive at Old Fort Drive.
 
Also see . . .
1. Old Fort Park & Fort Houstoun. From Explore Southern History (Submitted on December 9, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.) 

2. Tallahassee Magazine article "Old Fort Houstoun Perseveres". (Submitted on December 9, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Categories. War, US CivilWaterways & Vessels
 
Earth works in background and marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 6, 2014
3. Earth works in background and marker
Earth works of Fort Houston image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 6, 2014
4. Earth works of Fort Houston
Nearby duplicate marker and the earth works. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 6, 2014
5. Nearby duplicate marker and the earth works.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 216 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement