New London in Kandiyohi County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Early History of New London
1865 Louis Larson filed homestead rights and named the site New London.
1867 Merchants W.W. Pinney and Samuel Adams each built and opened stores. Postal service began.
1868 New London became county seat of Monongalia County.
1870 Monongalia County became part of Kandiyohi County.
1873 Lebanon Lutheran church erected. Many businesses opened during the 1870's, flourished, then disappeared. Among them: Blacksmith, Carriage and Wagon Maker, Gunsmith, Harness Maker, Tinsmith, Miller and Dress Maker.
1884 First newspaper, New London Review, was published.
1886 Great Northern Railroad line between St. Cloud and Willmar opened with postal and passenger service. Several businesses operated near the depot, but relocated two years later to the mill area.
1889 Incorporation of the village; Louis Larson was the first Mayor. Population was 176.
1890 New London Creamery and Great Northern Hotel opened and construction began on the State Bank.
1892 Mission Covenant church was built.
1893 The fire hall, with bell tower alarm, was completed next to the dam, opposite the mill.
1895 Original brick building of the Big Store was built.
1898 Presbyterian church was built.
1905 The first elementary and high school was built of concrete block.
1910 Farmers Cooperative Store opened, and a municipal building was erected.
1915 (1912*) Sunnyside Hospital opened, servicing most of the surrounding towns.
1915 Farmers State Bank was built.
1921 A concrete auditorium was built. It is now the Little Theatre.
1930 (1936*) Major construction was completed on state (U.S.*) highway 71 with another bridge over the millpond.
1940 New London's Diamond Jubilee, it's 75th birthday was celebrated for three days and attracted 15,000 people.
Location. 45° 18.018′ N, 94° 56.648′ W. Marker is in New London, Minnesota, in Kandiyohi County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street South (State Highway 9) and 1st Avenue Southwest, on the right when traveling south on Main Street South. Click for map. The Early History of New London monument is the second southernmost monument of five granite monuments located at New London Memorial Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 60 Main Street South, New London MN 56273, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Veterans Memorial (here, next to this marker); Origin Of Crow River Dam and Mills (here, next to this marker); Robert lhlang Post 537, The American Legion (here, next to this marker); Federal Fish Hatchery (here, next to this marker); Lundborg-Broberg State Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); The West Lake Massacre (approx. 0.3 miles away); This Historical Inclosure (approx. 0.3 miles away); Little Crow's Camp (approx. 2.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in New London.
More about this marker. *Other sources note that Sunnyside Hospital opened in 1912, and that major construction was completed on U.S. (not State) 71 in 1936, now renamed State Highway 9.
Also see . . .
1. New London Memorial Park. City of New London, Minnesota. (Submitted on December 12, 2014.)
2. History of Community. City of New London, Minnesota. "New London, Minnesota is the oldest town in Kandiyohi County. It had its pioneer beginnings in 1850, when Louis Larson discovered a waterfall while out on a trapping expedition and visualized a mill.... Larson later named the place for his old home town - New London, Wisconsin." (Submitted on December 12, 2014.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 297 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.