Saddler’s Woods is named in honor of Joshua Saddler. Saddler was a slave on a Maryland plantation and escaped to freedom with his wife and two daughters in the late 1830’s. It was here that Saddler found refuge and with the help of a local Quaker, Cy Evans, Saddler acquired a small farm and home for his family.
In time, Saddler gained his freedom and his family thrived. Word of his success spread. Soon other African Americans settled in the area, forming the settlement of Saddlertown.
Determined to protect the woods, Saddler wrote into his will that no heirs could cut timber from the land. Thanks to his efforts, this remaining forest fragment provides a glimpse of how the area looked when the Leni Lenape lived here, long before European settlers arrived.
Location. 39° 54.066′ N, 75° 3.534′ W. Marker is in Haddon Township, New Jersey, in Camden County. Marker is on MacArthur Blvd.. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Collingswood NJ 08108, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. King’s Road / Chew’s Landing Road
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • African Americans •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 200 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.