“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chattahoochee in Gadsden County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)

Apalachicola Arsenal

Powder Magazine

Apalachicola Arsenal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 5, 2014
1. Apalachicola Arsenal Marker
Inscription. The Apalachicola Arsenal, originally known as the Mt. Vernon Arsenal, was built was built by the United States Army and served as an arms depot during the Second Seminole Indian War. Construction began in 1832, and was completed in 1839. The original compound consisted of nine buildings in a 400 ft. by 400 ft. quadrangle behind 12-foot high, 30-inch-thick perimeter wall, plus the outbuildings. The U.S. Army maintained the arsenal until 1861, when it was taken over by Confederate troops. Following the Civil War, the arsenal was used by the Freedman's Bureau until 1868, and then as the state's first penitentiary. In 1876, it became the first mental health hospital in Florida.

This structure, built as a gunpowder storage building or "powder magazine" is one of the arsenal's original outbuildings and the only one to survive. It originally had a hip roof and a single doorway located in the south wall, and was surrounded by a high brick containment wall. Over time, the Florida State Hospital used the structure as a coffin factory, carpenter shop, sewing center, and mattress factory. After undergoing numerous alterations and a period of neglect and abandonment, the building's restoration was completed in 2013.
A Florida Heritage Landmark

Erected 2014
Apalachicola Arsenal - Powder Magazine image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 5, 2014
2. Apalachicola Arsenal - Powder Magazine
by Florida State Hospital The Department of Children and Families and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-811.)
Location. 30° 42.375′ N, 84° 49.925′ W. Marker is in Chattahoochee, Florida, in Gadsden County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and Pecan Lane, on the left when traveling north on North Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: North Main Street, Chattahoochee FL 32324, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Apalachicola Arsenal (approx. 0.4 miles away); United States Arsenal (1832-1861) (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Ellicott's Observatory (approx. 1.1 miles away); Nicolls' Outpost (approx. 1.5 miles away); Sneads (approx. 5.5 miles away); Joshua Davis House (approx. 6.6 miles away); Camp Recovery (approx. 6.7 miles away in Georgia); Fort Scott (approx. 7.3 miles away in Georgia). Click for a list of all markers in Chattahoochee.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . .  Historian Dale Cox blog about the Powder Magazine. (Submitted on December 12, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. LandmarksScience & MedicineWar, US CivilWars, US Indian
Powder Magazine Sign image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 5, 2014
3. Powder Magazine Sign
Powder Magazine & Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, December 5, 2014
4. Powder Magazine & Marker
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 308 times since then and 104 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement