St. Anthony in Division No. 9 (North Peninsula), Newfoundland and Labrador — The Canadian Atlantic
Fox Point Lightouse
The white occulting light was installed in a cast-iron light tower. It exhibited 20.5 meters (67 feet) above sea level and was visible for 10 miles. A fog alarm was installed at the site in 1936 house(d) in a flat -roofed wooden building. The light tower and the fog alarm building were painted with red and white vertical stripes. W. Patey was the first keeper. Joseph Boyd was keeper in 1938.
In 1952 a new fog alarm was installed and in 1955 provision was made for a new landing, storehouse and outdoor toilet. A bungalow was constructed in the same year. Because the lighthouse was only a 20-minute walk from St. Anthony, the keeper’s children were able to attend school and the families could participate in social functions in the town.
In 1960 the iron tower was replaced with a combined light tower and fog alarm building, a new aluminum lantern was installed, and the acetylene gas light was converted to station-generated electricity. A second dwelling was constructed in the early 1960s. The lightkeepers at the time were W. and B.S. Pynn. Commercial power was brought to the station in 1970.
The site was de-staffed in July 1992, but was re-staffed in July 2002. Two dwelling
Information provided by the Canadian Coast Guard.
Location. 51° 21.364′ N, 55° 33.327′ W. Marker is in St. Anthony, Newfoundland and Labrador, in Division No. 9 (North Peninsula). Marker is on West Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: St. Anthony, Newfoundland and Labrador A0K 4S0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Anthony (within shouting distance of this marker); Sir Wilfred Thomason Grenfell (approx. 2.2 kilometers away).
More about this marker. This marker is located near the lighthouse at the eastern end of West Street.
Categories. • Communications • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 190 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.