West Allis in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Honey Creek Settlement
Lumber from the mill was used for the Mukwonago plank road and many other pioneer needs. The mill was discontinued in 1885 due to the lack of suitable timber.
Three times each week a stage served the Honey Creek community consisting of a blacksmith shop, schoolhouse, homesteads, sawmill and post office.
Among the early settlers were: Cornwall, Douville, Smith, Strong, Sheldon, Marsh, and Marlott.
Erected 1959 by Milwaukee County Historical Society.
Location. 43° 0.647′ N, 88° 1.006′ W. Marker is in West Allis, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is at the intersection of West National Avenue and South 84th Street, on the right when traveling west on West National Avenue. Click for map. Marker is located in Joyce Ann Radtke Park. Marker is in this post office area: Milwaukee WI 53214, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Honey Creek School Site (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wadhams Gas Station (approx. half a mile Wisconsin State Fair Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); Camp Harvey (approx. 0.6 miles away); President Abraham Lincoln (approx. 0.6 miles away); Harrison Ludington Farm (approx. 1.7 miles away); Meadowmere (approx. 1.8 miles away); Wood National Cemetery Civil War Memorial (approx. 2.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in West Allis.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 259 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.