Milford in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Phelps Saw Mill and Distillery
Circa 1836, Aaron Phelps, Milford’s first postmaster and the man who platted north Milford, built a saw mill and a distillery here, at the foot of the lower mill pond. The distillery became a carding mill in 1848, but the other mill, used for many years as a saw mill or as a planing mill by successive lumber companies, was located just east of here.
Erected 1990 by Pettibone Creek Chapter No. 777, the Questers.
Location. 42° 35.358′ N, 83° 36.17′ W. Marker is in Milford, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker is on West Liberty Street 0.1 miles east of Cabinet Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is located near Milford's historic Pettibone Creek Hydroelectric Station, just west of the powerhouse across Pettibone Creek. It is within a fenced area at the north end of Milford's Central Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 225 West Liberty Street, Milford MI 48380, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wells Brothers Foundry (approx. 0.2 miles away); Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Village Of Highland Station (approx. 3.5 miles away); Pettibone Creek Mills White Lake Township Hall (approx. 6.2 miles away); Four Towns Methodist Church (approx. 9.9 miles away); Mill Race Historical Village (approx. 12.5 miles away); The Walker/Wixom Tavern (approx. 12.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Milford.
Also see . . .
1. The Settling of Milford, Its Early Pioneers, Mills and First Era of Prosperity.
North Milford Village was platted in 1838 by Aaron Phelps, who came to Milford in 1834. In 1835 Phelps purchased land and in 1836 Phelps dammed Pettibone Creek at the foot of what is now the Lower Mill Pond in North Milford Village. Just south of West Liberty Street, he built a distillery and a sawmill. The dam and Lower Mill Pond remain, but the early mills are gone. (Submitted on December 16, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. A Brief History of Milford, Michigan.
In 1836 Aaron Phelps built a dam on Pettibone Creek and created the Lower Mill Pond, building a sawmill and distillery at its foot. The Upper Mill Pond was developed in 1845, and had at least five different mills on it. Milford was established as a township in 1835, and then, on April 12, 1869, Milford Village was incorporated. The (Submitted on December 16, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 185 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.