St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The 1910 Mary Peck House
Constructed shortly after the turn-of-the-century near the Castillo del San Marcos, the Mary Peck House has undergone nearly as many changes as the post-Flagler period St. Augustine in which it was built. In the past century, the street in front of the house in its original location changed from a sleepy little dirt road into a heavily traveled four-lane street through the historic district. The name of the street has been altered too, from Fort Marion Circle to Castillo Drive. The house has seen its porches removed, walls added, and paint colors changed many times in the last century. An interesting feature of the house is a back porch built of “boxcar” beaded board siding.
The woman for whom the house is named was Mary LaVerne Peck, a lifelong resident of St. Augustine who worked as a tour guide in the historic district. In the early morning of November 18, 2004, the Mary Peck House was moved to this location to make room for the City of St. Augustine’s expansion of their Colonial Spanish Quarter Museum. Historic Tours of America, is restoring the former residence as a house museum for Old Town St. Augustine visitors. Quartered on the first floor will be offices for the Old Jail Sheriff and a morgue for prisoners who have met their fate at the gallows.
We look forward to opening this historic
Historic Tours of America has been saving historic Florida buildings from the wrecking balls since 1973. This restoration is part of our ongoing commitment to Florida’s Heritage.
Erected by Historic Tours of America.
Location. 29° 54.465′ N, 81° 19.108′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker can be reached from San Marco Avenue (Business U.S. 1) 0.1 miles south of May Street (Florida Route A1A). Click for map. Marker (and subject building) are located behind the Old Jail building on the grounds of the Old Jail Museum complex. Marker is at or near this postal address: 167 San Marco Avenue, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Old St. Johns County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Spreading the Wealth Since 1900 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chain Gangs (about 400 feet away); Gault Street (about 500 feet away); Fountain of Youth Archaeological Park (about 700 feet away); First Spanish Muster Site in Florida (about 700 feet away); Mission Nombre de Dios (approx. ¼ mile away); Nelmar Terrace Historic District (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in St. Augustine.
Also see . . . Mary Laverne Peck, 88, of 18 Castillo Drive, died July 23, 1996. This St. Augustine Record article from 2004 highlights some of the intriguing facts and circumstances surrounding Mary Lavern Pecks' two contested wills and the fate of her 1910 house. (Submitted on December 15, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 265 times since then and 8 times this year. Last updated on , by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.