Inscription. Deer Island in the Columbia was named by the Lewis and Clark Expedition which stopped to dine here November 5, 1805 on its way down river. Homeward bound the explorers camped on the island on March 28,1806. Captain Clark recorded "This morning we set out very early and at 9 a.m. arrived at an old Indian village on NE side of Deer Island where we found our hunters had halted and left one man with the canoes at their camp. They arrived last evening and six of them turned out very early to hunt, at 10 a.m. They all returned to camp having killed seven deer. The Indians call this large island E-Lal-Lar, or Deer Island. (Marker Number M1.)
January 19, 2007
|1. Deer Island Marker|
Marker series. This marker is included in the Lewis & Clark Expedition marker series.
Location. 45° 56.111′ N, 122° 50.871′ W. Marker is in Deer Island, Oregon, in Columbia County. Marker is on Columbia River Highway (U.S. 30) near North Buck Way, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Deer Island OR 97054, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Woodland Community Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.4 miles away in Washington); The Finn Hall (approx. 7.5 miles away in Washington); Fort Vancouver (approx. 12.4 miles away in Washington).
January 19, 2007
|2. Deer Island Marker|
Also see . . . The Columbia River - A Photographic Journey. Lewis & Clark's Columbia River - 200 Years Later: Deer Island, Oregon. (Submitted on May 28, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on May 28, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,898 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 28, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |