Farmington Hills in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Grays never lived in the house. After her husband's death, Martha Gray gave the house as a wedding gift to Eleanor Goodenough (1910-1982) when she married John Spicer in 1935. Ellie had grown up next door at Longacres; she was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Luman Goodenough, who gave their home as a Community Cultural Center in 1968.
Mrs. Spicer's home became a working farmhouse on the 211 acre farm, as well as "home" for her five children. For 47 years she raised sheep and kept riding horses, while a suburban community developed around her. The City purchased the home and property from her estate in 1985.
Erected 1988 by Farmington Hills Historical Commission.
Location. 42° 28.554′ N, 83° 22.733′ W. Marker is in Farmington Hills, Michigan, in Oakland County. Marker can be reached from Farmington Road. Click for map. The marker is in Heritage Park, which is on Farmington Road (about 0.4 miles south of Eleven Mile Road). From the park entrance, take the road towards the Visitor
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "The Stuart Little Pond" (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oakwood Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Village Center (approx. 0.6 miles away); Gov. Fred M. Warner (approx. 0.6 miles away); Farmington's First Post Office (approx. 0.6 miles away); City of Farmington (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Quaker Meeting (approx. 0.7 miles away); Farmington Masonic Temple and Farmington Township Hall (approx. ¾ mile away).
Categories. • 20th Century •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 190 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Al Wolf was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.