Alameda in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Alameda’s First Church
Founded Sept. 11, 1853
Rev. James McGowan
In 1854 the first church building was erected on land donated Bishop William Taylor and dedicated by Bishop Matthew Simpson - the first appointed minister was Rev. David Deal, 1854-56.
Present building erected - 1909
Location. 37° 45.898′ N, 122° 14.664′ W. Marker is in Alameda, California, in Alameda County. Marker is at the intersection of Central Avenue and Oak Street, on the right when traveling west on Central Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2257 Central Avenue, Alameda CA 94501, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Alameda High School (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Alameda City Hall, 1895-96 (about 500 feet away); Alameda Lodge No. 1015 (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Alameda City Hall (about 600 feet away); Meyers House (approx. half a mile away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. half a mile away); Webster House (approx. half a mile away); 1890 Seawall (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Alameda.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 263 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.