“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Crossville in DeKalb County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

Town of Crossville

Town of Crossville Marker, front image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, December 26, 2014
1. Town of Crossville Marker, front
Crossville, once known as a little village, was named by James A. Copeland because of the area’s many crossroads. In the mid-1800s, mail was brought through Crossville from Rome, GA and Guntersville, AL by stagecoach. The first church was a Methodist Episcopal Church, Pine Bark Church (formed before War Between the States). The first school was built in the late 1800s at Bryant’s Chapel Church. The first post office was established in 1870. A.C. Copeland was postmaster. In 1888, G.W. Justice established the first business. In 1901, W.B. Jones installed machinery for cotton mills, and the first car came through Crossville. A government distillery was once in operation here. The first telephone exchange was by J.J. England who built the first and only hotel Crossville ever had. The first service station was operated by George Jones. Sam P. Smith, Crossville’s first doctor, traveled on horseback to see patients. Until 1914, only two stores and a few homes made up the town. The first bank opened in 1914 by N.W. Black & Boyce Raines.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
In 1919, Charley Crump, J.K. Dobbs, B.F. Kirby, A.C. Copeland, Walter Roden, G.W. Justice, J.M. Carnes and J.T. Gaines worked to incorporate the town.
Town of Crossville Marker, rear image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, December 26, 2014
2. Town of Crossville Marker, rear
C.J. Crump was the first mayor. Little progress was made and the township failed as incorporated. On December 21, 1942, the town was incorporated for the second time. Dr. L.F. Erwin was chosen mayor. In 1948, C.W. (Bill) Russell was elected mayor. Colonel Mack Kilcrease was hired as legal advisor to the mayor/council. This group worked together to establish a solid town government that became the foundation for the Town of Crossville. The new Town Hall was dedicated on July 12, 1964.
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Crossville.
Location. 34° 17.239′ N, 85° 59.566′ W. Marker is in Crossville, Alabama, in DeKalb County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Alabama Route 68) and Gaines Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Click for map. It is located beside the Crossville Town Hall. Marker is in this post office area: Crossville AL 35962, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Geraldine: Home of the Bulldogs (approx. 5.2 miles away); Indian Mound, Inn, and Church Site (approx. 7.6 miles away); Collinsville Historic District (approx. 7.6 miles away);
Town of Crossville Marker image. Click for full size.
By David J Gaines, December 26, 2014
3. Town of Crossville Marker
Fires and Floods (approx. 7.8 miles away); Old Bethel United Primitive Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 9.2 miles away); City of Boaz (approx. 11.6 miles away).
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 177 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement