Geraldine in DeKalb County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Town of Geraldine: Home of the Bulldogs
No one knows for sure how Geraldine got its name. Some say it was named for a lovely Indian maiden. The first official record was on September 5, 1882 when Mr. William A. Johnson applied for the location of a new post office. The record of the post office shows that the name "Lee" was written on the first application, but was marked through and the name Geraldine was written. The Town of Geraldine was incorporated in 1956. The first city officials were: Mayor: Raymond Upton: Councilman: D.G. Morrow, Ernest Upton, T.A. Guest, V.W. Martin, and Leroy Porter: and Town Clerk: Verlon Masters. The Volunteer Fire Department was organized in 1958 with Arthur Porter as the first Fire Chief.
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Crossville.
Location. 34° 21.746′ N, 86° 0.334′ W. Marker is in Geraldine, Alabama, in DeKalb County. Marker is on Alabama Route 75 0.1 miles east of Main Street (Alabama Route 227), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is located in front of the Geraldine Town Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 41343 Hwy 75, Geraldine AL 35974, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Crossville (approx. 5.2 miles away); Old Bethel United Primitive Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 6.1 miles away); Indian Mound, Inn, and Church Site (approx. 10.6 miles away); Collinsville Historic District (approx. 10.6 miles away); Fires and Floods (approx. 10.8 miles away); History of Langston (approx. 12.8 miles away); Birthplace of Albertville (approx. 13.1 miles away); Liberty Tree Memorial (approx. 13.2 miles away).
Categories. • Education • Settlements & Settlers • Sports •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 257 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.