Section in Jackson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Town of Section
Section, Alabama is on a land where the Cherokee once hunted and lived. There were communities such as Kirby Creek, Gossets Hollow, and Fern Cliff. These communities came together to form the Town of Section. Pioneer settlers came in large numbers in 1862 to Section. Settlers were required to live on the land for five years before claiming the property as their own. Section was officially incorporated in August 1910. The town began an annual Labor Day Celebration in 1974, making it 36 years old in 2010.
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Section.
Location. 34° 34.86′ N, 85° 59.26′ W. Marker is in Section, Alabama, in Jackson County. Marker is on Dutton Road east of Main Street (County Route 43), on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is located in front of the Section Municipal Building. Marker is in this post office area: Section AL 35771, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. History of Langston (approx. 5.9 miles away); Robert E. Jones, Jr. (approx. 6.5 miles away); Jackson County Courthouse And The Scottsboro Boys (approx. 6.8 Gen. Andrew Jackson (approx. 6.9 miles away); Robert Thomas Scott (approx. 6.9 miles away); Union Civil War Encampment in Scottsboro (approx. 7.1 miles away); Scottsboro Railroad Depot (approx. 7.1 miles away); Bellefonte Cemetery / Town of Bellefonte (approx. 9.4 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 233 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.