Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Trenton in Mercer County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Alexander Douglass House

 
 
The Alexander Douglass House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, December 27, 2014
1. The Alexander Douglass House Marker
Inscription.
was originally built circa 1760 on what is now South Broad Street as a one room, two story “shanty.” Alexander Douglass purchased it in 1769 and it was in that place that George Washington called a Council of War during the Revolutionary War Battles of Trenton in December of 1776. The two story front structure was added by Douglass ca 1800. The house remained in the Douglass family until 1852.

In 1876 the house endured its first move to Centre Street where it remained until 1924 when the City of Trenton acquired ownership and moved it to Mahlon Stacy Park. In 1972 it was moved to its current location in Mill Hill Park

The Alexander Douglass House is owned by the City of Trenton and operated by the Department of Recreation, Natural Resources and Culture. Its current restoration is funded by the City of Trenton, the New Jersey Historic Trust and the National Park Service.
 
Erected by City of Trenton.
 
Location. 40° 13.137′ N, 74° 45.709′ W. Marker is in Trenton, New Jersey, in Mercer County. Marker is at the intersection of E Front Street and S Montgomery Street, on the right when traveling east on E Front Street. Click for map. Marker is located at the northeast corner of Mill
Full Alexander Douglass House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, December 27, 2014
2. Full Alexander Douglass House Marker
Hill Park. Marker is in this post office area: Trenton NJ 08608, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Douglass House (here, next to this marker but has been reported missing); Mill Hill Playhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington Crossing the Delaware (within shouting distance of this marker); Mill Hill Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); Trenton YMCA (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The First Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); First Presbyterian Churchyard (about 600 feet away); Rev. John Rosbrugh (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Trenton.
 
More about this marker. A photograph of the Alexander Douglass House appears on the left side of the marker.
 
Categories. War, US Revolutionary
 
The Alexander Douglass House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, December 27, 2014
3. The Alexander Douglass House Marker
The Alexander Douglass House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, December 27, 2014
4. The Alexander Douglass House
Original Location of the Alexander Douglass House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, December 27, 2014
5. Original Location of the Alexander Douglass House
This church at the intersection of South Broad and Livingston Streets occupies the site where the Alexander Douglass house was originally located.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 230 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement