Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wilson in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Wilson Collegiate Institute 1845

Wilson Union Free School 1869

 
 
Wilson Collegiate Institute 1845 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, November 13, 2013
1. Wilson Collegiate Institute 1845 Marker
Inscription. Site of Wilson Collegiate Institute 1845, Wilson Union Free School 1869. Rebuilt in 1900.
 
Erected 1976 by Wilson Historical Society.
 
Location. 43° 18.436′ N, 78° 49.595′ W. Marker is in Wilson, New York, in Niagara County. Marker is at the intersection of Lake Street (New York State Route 425) and Seminary Street, on the left when traveling north on Lake Street. Click for map. The marker is alongside the walkway to the front center entrance of Wilson Town Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 375 Lake Street, Wilson NY 14172, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tabor Bridge (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lake Street and Young Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); First School House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pettit Street and Chestnut Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Log House Built in 1818 by Reuben Wilson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Corner of Pettit and Bay Street (approx. 0.3 miles away); Greenwood Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Park and Harbor Streets (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Wilson.
 
Regarding Wilson Collegiate Institute 1845. The Wilson Collegiate Institute
View from corner of Wilcox St. image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, November 13, 2013
2. View from corner of Wilcox St.
This is Wilson Town Hall. View is southbound on Lake Street (NY 425). The marker is between the flagpole and the center entrance of Town Hall.
was established on this site on 25 January 1845, having been proposed by Luther Wilson, son of town founder Reuben Wilson. The land was donated by bachelor Simon Sheldon and citizens donated funds. The building was cobblestone, 40'x60', 4800 sq. ft., with classrooms and library on the first floor and an auditorium on the second floor. The library had over 300 books (predominantly literature, history and philosophy), a human skeleton, and about 300 mineral specimens. Male and female students received the same instruction. Some of the subjects taught were languages, natural science, philosophy, music, drawing and painting, and New York State teacher training. The Institute became financially untenable due to competition, which led the trustees to deed the Institute to the Union Free School District in 1869. The curriculum was expanded. Recess was replaced by marching, military drills, and calisthenics in 1894.

As the student body grew after the compulsory education law of 1895, a brick addition for primary grades was attached to the cobblestone building. The next year, 1900, a 60' brick building was added to replace the cobblestone building. In 1935 the current Wilson High School was built on the opposite side of the street. As the current building expanded, the old building was still used for industrial arts and some academic classes. On 2 August 1957 the old school burned
Wilson Collegiate Institute built 1845. image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, November 20, 2013
3. Wilson Collegiate Institute built 1845.
Wilson Historical Society picture of the cobblestone building, apparently showing the 1899 brick addition at the rear. It became the Union Free School in 1869.
from sparks landing on the roof from a nearby fire. Today the site is Wilson Town Hall, built in 1960. A long mural painted on the interior wall facing the center entrance of Wilson High School depicts the progression of school buildings in Wilson.

References: Croop, Donald J. Wilson Sketchbook, Wilson Historical Society, 1994. Townsend, Avis A. Images of America: Wilson, Arcadia Publishing, 2005.
 
Also see . . .
1. Town of Wilson - Government and Historical Society. (Submitted on November 20, 2013, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
2. Cobblestone Museum - Has information about cobblestone masonry. (Submitted on November 20, 2013, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
3. Wilson Central Schools. (Submitted on November 20, 2013, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
 
Additional keywords. Cobblestone
 
Categories. Education
 
Wilson Union Free School Built 1900 image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, November 20, 2013
4. Wilson Union Free School Built 1900
Wilson Hisorical Society picture. Note the dates above the center entrance.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 288 times since then and 4 times this year. Last updated on , by Russell Kropp of Dalzell, South Carolina. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement