Columbus City Hall
Construction of old City Hall on this site was begun in 1869 and completed in 1872 at a cost of $175,000. The 140-foot high building of Gothic design contained dark cream Amherst stone and was one of the prominent landmarks of its day. First floor was occupied by the U.S. Post Office, the Columbus Public Library and the City Board of Trade. City Council Chamber and office rooms were located on the second floor and a public auditorium seating 3000 persons occupied the third floor. The building was destroyed by a $75,000 fire the night of January 21, 1921. Construction of the present Loew's Ohio Theater building was completed March 17, 1928. On opening night Mayor James J. Thomas delivered the dedicatory address.
the City of Columbus
Dedicated April, 1964
Erected 1964 by Franklin County Historical Society.
Location. 39° 57.61′ N, 82° 59.954′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on State Street east of High Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 39 East State Street, Columbus OH 43215, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers United Mine Workers of America (a few steps from this marker); The Ohio Theater (a few steps from this marker); Columbus Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Ohio in the Civil War / Defending Ohio (within shouting distance of this marker); The State House (within shouting distance of this marker); Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Oak (within shouting distance of this marker); The Spirit of ’98 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); William McKinley (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 166 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. 3. submitted on . 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.