Trinity Lutheran Seminary
The German Seminary of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Ohio, the first Lutheran theological seminary west of the Appalachian Mountains, began instruction under Pastor Wilhelm Schmidt in Canton in 1830. The seminary relocated to Columbus at this location in 1831. After becoming part of Capital University in 1850, it occupied temporary campuses before locating permanently on the National Road, east of Columbus, in 1876. There the seminary was known as the Evangelical Lutheran Theological Seminary. In 1959, the seminary separated from Capital University. In 1978, it merged with the Hamma School of Theology of Wittenberg University, taking the name Trinity Lutheran Seminary. This united seminary was a significant harbinger of the formation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America in 1988. The cornerstone of the first seminary building erected on this site in 1832 is located on the Trinity Lutheran Seminary campus in Bexley.
Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 671 South High Street, Columbus OH 43215, United States of America.
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, Trinity Lutheran Seminary, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 57-25.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 56.888′ N, 82°
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Mary Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Schiller Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Johann Christian Heyl (approx. 0.4 miles away); Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller (approx. half a mile away); Site of First Ohio State Home Football Game / The Ohio State University First Football Team 1890 (approx. half a mile away); Gold Star Mothers (approx. half a mile away); Franklin County Soldiers of the Mexican War (approx. 0.6 miles away); Battleship U.S.S. Ohio (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
Also see . . .
1. History and Mission of Trinity Lutheran Seminary. (Submitted on December 31, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. Trinity Lutheran Seminary, Ohio. (Submitted on December 31, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 154 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.