“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Watkins Glen in Schuyler County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

The Present Watkins Glen Circuit

The Present Watkins Glen Circuit Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 12, 2014
1. The Present Watkins Glen Circuit Marker
Inscription. In 1953 the Watkins Glen Grand Prix Corporation moved the circuit to a spot six miles southwest of the village, very close to where the circuit is presently located and racing continued on public roads for three more years In 1956 the 2.3 mile permanent circuit was constructed on land purchased by the Grand Prix Corporation. In 1971 the circuit was modified by widening the roads, relocating the start/finish line and lengthening the course to 3.377 miles by the addition of the one mile boot configuration.

The World Championship United States Grand Prix for Formula I cars was staged here from 1961 through 1980, and NASCAR’s Winston Cup has been an annual fixture since 1986. The circuit has been owned and operated by Watkins Glen International, Inc. since 1983. Over the years the course has been the site of Formula I (Grand Prix), SCCA and IMSA (International Sports Cars) World Championship endurance racers, USAC and CART (Indianapolis cars), NASCAR (stock cars) and Motorcycle racing.

Directions to the New Circuit. From this spot, go south on Franklin Street (route 414), follow 414 County Road at the corner and up the hill. Turn right at the blinking signal, onto County Road 16. The new circuit is 2.4 miles out County Road 16, On the left.

There have been more name drivers in a
The Present Watkins Glen Circuit Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 12, 2014
2. The Present Watkins Glen Circuit Marker
variety of races at Watkins Glen than at any other circuit in the world. Among the name drivers at Watkins Glen are: Mario Andretti • Geoff Bodine • Jack Brabham • Jimmy Clark • Mark Donohue • Dale Earnhardt • Bill Elliott • Emerson Fittipaldi • A. J. Foyt • Dan Gurney • Jim Hall • Graham Hill • Phil Hill • AI Holbert • Jacky Ickx • Niki Lauda • Bruce McLaren • Stirling Moss • Paul Newman • Richard Petty • Brian Redman • Jochen Rindt • Jackie Stewart • John Surtees • Al Unser, Sr. • Bobby Unser • Giles Villeneuve • Darrell Waltrip
Erected by the Village of Watkins Glen, Watkins Glen International, and the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.
Location. 42° 22.6′ N, 76° 52.289′ W. Marker is in Watkins Glen, New York, in Schuyler County. Marker is on Franklin Street (New York State Route 14) just north of 10th Street when traveling north. Click for map. It is across from the courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Watkins Glen NY 14891, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. At Watkins Glen (here, next to this marker); The Original Watkins Glen Circuit (here, next to this marker); Watkins Glen State Park
The Glen — Detail from Marker image. Click for full size.
October 12, 2014
3. The Glen — Detail from Marker
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Honoring Our Naval Veterans (approx. half a mile away); James A. Shepard (approx. 2.4 miles away); Catherine's Landing (approx. 2.4 miles away); She-Qua-Ga (approx. 2.4 miles away); Saw Mill Creek (approx. 2.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Watkins Glen.
Also see . . .  Wikipedia Entry for Watkins Glen International. “Watkins Glen International (nicknamed ‘The Glen’) is an automobile race track located near Watkins Glen, New York, at the southern tip of Seneca Lake. The sports car racing facility is owned by International Speedway Corporation. It was long known around the world as the home of the United States Grand Prix, which it hosted for twenty consecutive years (1961–1980), but since 1948 the site has been home to road racing of nearly every class, including Formula One, the World Sportscar Championship, Trans-Am, Can-Am, NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, and the IndyCar Series. Initially, public roads in the village were used for the race course. In 1956 a permanent circuit for the race was built. In 1968 the race was extended to six hours, becoming the 6 Hours of Watkins Glen. The circuit’s current layout has more or less been the same since 1971, although a chicane was installed at the uphill Esses in 1975 to slow cars through these corners, where there was a fatality during practice at the 1973 United States Grand Prix. The chicane was removed in 1985, but another chicane called the ‘Inner Loop’ was installed in 1992 after a fatal accident during the previous year’s NASCAR Winston Cup event. The circuit is known as the Mecca of North American road racing and is a very popular venue among fans and drivers.” (Submitted on January 1, 2015.) 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesSports
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 192 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement