Orangeburg in Orangeburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Great Branch School and Teacherage
The Great Branch School, which stood here from 1918 to the early 1960s, was one of the first Rosenwald schools in S.C. A two-room frame school built in 1917-18, it was typical of the rural black schools funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation between 1917 and 1932.
A three-room addition and three-room teacherage were built in 1922-23; Principal W.M. Jennings lived here until 1933. The school closed about 1954 and was later burned by arsonists. The teacherage, one of only eight Rosenwald teacherages in S.C., was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.
Erected 2008 by The Orangeburg Chapter of The Links, Incorporated. (Marker Number 38-31.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Rosenwald Schools marker series.
Location. 33° 31.356′ N, 81° 0.157′ W. Marker is in Orangeburg, South Carolina, in Orangeburg County. Marker is on Neeses Highway (State Highway 4) near State Rd S-38-1695 (State Route 38-1695), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2890 Neeses Hwy, Orangeburg, SC 29115, Orangeburg SC 29115, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Zion Church (approx. 5.7 miles away); Orangeburgh and Ninety Six Road (approx. 6.1 miles away); Neeses (approx. 7.1 miles away); Defense of Edisto Bridge (approx. 7.7 miles away); Albergotti Playground (approx. 7.7 miles away); Moorefield Memorial Highway (approx. 7.8 miles away); Orangeburg County / Discovering Orangeburg (approx. 7.9 miles away); Confederate Flag (approx. 8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Orangeburg.
Regarding Great Branch School and Teacherage. The Great Branch Teacherage is significant as a relatively intact and rare example of Rosenwald-funded teachersí housing from the period 1917-1932, when the Julius Rosenwald Fund was helping build schools and associated buildings to support the education of black children in the South. This teachersí cottage, built in 1924-25, was an important part of the Great Branch School complex. The Great Branch School that once stood on the site, was built in 1917-18, was enlarged in 1922-1923, and closed ca. 1954; arsonists burned it in the early 1960s. Great Branch was one of the first Rosenwald schools in the state, constructed for the East Liberty School District #55. The campus also contained a cannery, a shop, a storage building, well house, and two outdoor privies. The Rosenwald Fund contributed $900.00 towards the construction
Also see . . . Julius Rosenwald, Wikipedia entry. Over the course of his life, Rosenwald and his fund donated over 70 million dollars to public schools, colleges and universities, (Submitted on September 19, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • African Americans • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 406 times since then and 53 times this year. Last updated on , by Deron E Lillard of Augusta, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.