Moran in Shackelford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Cottle No. 1
First Natural Gas Well in Shackelford County
—(2 miles NE) —
In the spring of 1911, gas was piped to Moran for residential and business use. Within two years (in 1913) the cities of Albany, Cisco, and Abilene were supplied for the first time with natural gas. By Oct. 1913, with five producing gas wells, the Moran Field won recognition as one of the most important sources of fossil fuels in Texas. Although the Cottle No. 1 was plugged years ago, Moran Field continues to be an economic mainstay in this area.
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1076.)
Location. 32° 32.88′ Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Moran TX 76464, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Moran (here, next to this marker); Granville E. Waters (approx. 1.4 miles away); Moran Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Ibex (approx. 9.5 miles away); Hittson Ranch Headquarters on Battle Creek (approx. 11.5 miles away); Burkett Pecan Tree (approx. 11.8 miles away); Military Telegraph Line (approx. 12.9 miles away); Shackelford County (approx. 14.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Moran.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 189 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.