Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Moran in Shackelford County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Granville E. Waters

 
 
Granville E. Waters Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 29, 2014
1. Granville E. Waters Marker
Inscription. Born in Ashtabula County, Ohio in April 1852, Granville Eades Waters came to Texas in 1871. He settled in the north central part of the state before moving to Shackelford County in 1876. The next year, he wed Rennie Harris, daughter of a Waco mayor. The couple settled in a log cabin near Deep Creek, a few miles north of Hulltown (present Moran). With their five sons, they faced the hardships of frontier life; the closest post office was in Fort Griffin, and the nearest railroad connected Dallas to Fort Worth.
     For many years, on behalf of Ohio friend Cyrus B. Snyder, Waters operated the Ashtabula Stock Ranch west of Moran. Known by the honorary title of colonel, he found success as a breeder and dealer of Hereford Cattle, first bringing them to the ranch in 1885. He later served as president of the American Hereford Cattle Breeder’s Association. The Waters Ranch became a social center for the area. The site of picnics, ballgames and other events, it provided a meeting place for many years until the house burned and the family moved into Moran, where their property became the Waters Addition to the town.
     Waters served as county commissioner (1884-1892) and vice president of Moran National Bank. In the early 1900s, Waters worked in real estate, insurance, gas and oil leasing, and as a scout for the Texas Company (Texaco).
Granville E. Waters Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 29, 2014
2. Granville E. Waters Marker
At foot of grave of G.E. Waters
He was also active in the Methodist Episcopal Church, Freemasons and Knights Templar.
     Waters died at a Fort Worth hospital in 1927. He is remembered today for his contributions to the local community and for his influence on the area economy through the introduction of Hereford stock and the early exploration for oil and gas in Shackelford County.
 
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13204.)
 
Location. 32° 32.64′ N, 99° 8.396′ W. Marker is near Moran, Texas, in Shackelford County. Marker can be reached from Farm to Market Road 2408 1.3 miles east of State Highway 6. Click for map. Marker is located in Moran Cemetery 100 feet south of the main entrance. Marker is in this post office area: Moran TX 76464, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Moran Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Cottle No. 1 (approx. 1.4 miles away); Moran (approx. 1.4 miles away); Ibex (approx. 9.6 miles away); Hittson Ranch Headquarters on Battle Creek (approx. 11.2 miles away); Burkett Pecan Tree (approx. 11.5 miles away); Military Telegraph Line (approx. 13.5 miles away); Shackelford County (approx. 15.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Moran.
 
Categories. AgricultureIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Grave Sites of Granville and Rennie Waters image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 29, 2014
3. Grave Sites of Granville and Rennie Waters
Moran Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 29, 2014
4. Moran Cemetery
Marker is visible in center of photo
Moran Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, December 29, 2014
5. Moran Cemetery
Marker is 100 feet south of main cemetery entrance
on the west (left) side of the driveway
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 196 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement