The site of this spring was outside the area included in the 1879 survey. Known as East Mountain, this area was crowded with wood structures by 1885. The spring, which flowed from a small cave lined with projections of onyx stone, was already recognized for the healing waters.
Water made a stream down over the rock ledges to the creek below. The overflow of Little Eureka Springs, Cave Springs and others joined this stream further up the ravine. The spring overflow was very accessible and townspeople soon began to collect the water from below for household use. A wash house or laundry was established below the spring. In an early census, many women listed their occupation as a laundress.
The town's first government quickly passed an ordinance to protect all the springs. Circa 1880, Ordinance No. 10, Section 2: All persons washing their persons or clothes in or above the basins of all public springs shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
The Riley survey of 1893 delineates the boundaries of a spring reservation. On August 4, 1903, an ordinance was enacted creating and describing Laundry Springs Reservation. The spring was known, however, from that date as Onyx Spring. All the onyx stone is reputed to have been taken for souvenirs over time.
In 1922, residents of East Mountain raised all the funds needed to employ carpenters
They built a wood shelter over the cave opening. It was proudly boasted "not a penny came from the city for these improvements."
The Parks and Recreation Commission officially recognized the spring as Laundry Spring on October 8, 2003.
Erected by Greater Eureka Springs Chamber of Commerce and the Community Development Partnership.
Location. 36° 24.047′ N, 93° 44.046′ W. Marker is in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, in Carroll County. Marker is at the intersection of Flint Street and Steele Street, on the left when traveling south on Flint Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eureka Springs AR 72632, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mud Street to Main Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Basin Bath House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Three Flat-Irons (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Perry House - Basin Park Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Springs (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Southern Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Law Offices of F. O. Butt (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chandler Mall Buildings (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Eureka Springs.
Also see . . .
1. The Historic Springs of Eureka Springs, Arkansas
2. Eureka Springs History. (Submitted on January 6, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
3. Eureka Springs at Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture. (Submitted on January 6, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Environment • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 167 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.