Charlottetown in Queens County, Prince Edward Island — The Canadian Atlantic
Great George Street Historic District
L’arrondissement Historique de la rue Great George
Great George Street is richly evocative of both its 18th-century origins and its subsequent development as one of Charlottetown's principal streets. Clearly focused to Province House, the seat of Island government and the birthplace of Confederation, the street has traditionally been lined with homes and public buildings. In 1864 the Fathers of Confederation attending the Charlottetown Conference landed on the wharf at the bottom of this street, and some delegates stayed in the nearby Pavilion Hotel. Houses influenced by British classicism were the first buildings on Great George Street. Over the years, structures designed in a variety of styles gradually joined and complemented them. The graceful architectural evolution of the street has allowed soaring stone church towers to mingle successfully with simple wooden and brick buildings. A harmony in use, scale and setting among its structures, cohesively meshed with memories of the great events the street has seen, continues to convey a clear sense of its place in our national history.
La rue Great George rappelle abondamment ses origines du XVIIIe siècle et sa transformation subséquente en l'une des principales rue de Charlottetown. Orientée vers Province House, siège du gouvernement de l'Île-du-Prince-Édouard et berceau de la Confédération,
Erected by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Location. 46° 13.952′ N, 63° 7.366′ W. Marker is in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, in Queens County. Marker is on Great George Street, in the median. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9 Great George Street, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island C1A 1A6,, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Heralded Arrival… of the Circus (within shouting distance of this marker); Threaded Together with Iron and Steel Railway Car Shop (about 180 meters away); Carvell Building (about 180 meters away); Hillsborough Bridge (about 180 meters away); Survey of the Gulf and River St. Lawrence (about 210 meters away); Peake House (about 240 meters away); Railway Brass Shop (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Charlottetown.
More about this marker. This marker is near Peake's Quay.
Also see . . . Great George Street Historic District National Historic Site of Canada. On August 31st and September 1st 1864, the Fathers of Confederation arrived at Peake’s Quay Charlottetown to attend the Charlottetown Conference. The event was hosted at Province House, the historic seat of Island government, which sits at the end of Great George Street. The discussions at this conference resulted in the confederation of four provinces of British North America into the Dominion of Canada on July 1, 1867 in Québec. Since 1864, Great George Street has retained its original colonial plan, its close association with the water, and its regular ascent to the central square and seat of government at Province House. (Submitted on January 9, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 220 times since then and 83 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.