“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mercersburg in Franklin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Fort Marshall

Fort Marshall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, May 18, 2008
1. Fort Marshall Marker
Inscription. This settlers' refuge, located near Warm Spring Indian Trail, was built about 1755 on the land of William Marshall. It was used as a station in the daily military patrol to guard the southwestern frontier of the Conococheague Settlement from raids in French and Indian War days. Site is .4 mile SE of here.
Erected 1946 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Location. 39° 46.633′ N, 77° 55.53′ W. Marker is in Mercersburg, Pennsylvania, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Shrimptown Road and Clay Lick Road, on the right when traveling north on Shrimptown Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mercersburg PA 17236, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Burning Of Chambersburg (approx. 2.2 miles away but has been reported missing); The 54th Mass. Infantry Regiment, US Colored Troops (approx. 3.1 miles away); Rev. Steel's Fort (approx. 3.5 miles away); Zion Union Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away); Fort Davis (approx. 3.6 miles away); Mercersburg (approx. 3.6 miles away); Mercersburg Borough (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Archibald Irwin House (approx. 3.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Mercersburg.
Categories. Colonial EraForts, CastlesMilitaryNative AmericansNotable PersonsSettlements & SettlersWar, French and Indian
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,619 times since then and 111 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement