First School in Baxter Springs
In 1866, a small log school building was built on this site, with benches and desks hewn from logs. The first teacher was Miss Lillie Van Epps. It was a subscription school, which was maintained, and the teacher paid with tuition from the students. The school operated until 1868 when a new frame school was constructed on the southeast corner of 11th and Park.
Location. 37° 1.665′ N, 94° 44.096′ W. Marker is in Baxter Springs, Kansas, in Cherokee County. Marker is at the intersection of Military Avenue (U.S. 69) and 7th Street, on the right when traveling north on Military Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baxter Springs KS 66713, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wiggins House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Big Spring (about 400 feet away); The Hanging Tree (about 400 feet away); Veterans Memorial (about 500 feet away); Black Dog Trail (about 500 feet away); 2nd Kansas Colored Infantry at Fort Blair (about 600 feet away); Last Pratt Pony Truss Bridge in Cherokee County (about 600 feet away); The Zellekin Brewery (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Baxter Springs.
Also see . . . History of Baxter Springs
Categories. • Education • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 171 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.