Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Buffalo in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

St. Mary's-on-the-Hill

 
 
St. Mary's-on-the-Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, January 17, 2015
1. St. Mary's-on-the-Hill Marker
Inscription. St. Mary's-on-the-Hill Episcopal Church was built on this site in 1874. The original wooden church was replaced by the Medina Sandstone ediface pictured above in 1893. Built in a style reminiscent of village churches constructed in England during the middle ages, it was situated on the rise of land that formed this corner lot. Features included the unusual corner butresses and large openings of the bell tower.

As the population of Buffalo declined during the later part of the 20th century the congregation of the church decreased as well. This resulted in its closure a little more than 100-years after its opening and eventually this prominent neighborhood house of worship was razed in 2011.

Fortunately neighborhood preservationists saved and stored the bell that occupied the church tower for more than a century.

When D'Youville College announced that they were planning on developing the site into a parking lot, the neighbors asked the College if they would consider incorporating this melancholy bell into the design to celebrate the historic significance of this site.

In keeping with the College's commitment to community interests as well as its desire to honor a bygone neighborhood sanctuary, D'Youville College restored the bell, then designed and constructed this memorial.
 
Erected by
St. Mary's-on-the-Hill Bell image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, January 17, 2015
2. St. Mary's-on-the-Hill Bell
D'Youville College.
 
Location. 42° 54.276′ N, 78° 53.701′ W. Marker is in Buffalo, New York, in Erie County. Marker is at the intersection of Niagara Street (New York State Route 266) and Vermont Street, on the right when traveling north on Niagara Street. Click for map. Marker is behind the north side of the Connecticut Street Armory, opposite side of Vermont Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 781 Niagara Street, Buffalo NY 14213, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Robert "Frankie" Franklin (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); American Doughboy "Over the Top" to Victory (about 700 feet away); In Memory of 100th New York Volunteer Infantry (approx. mile away); 28th U. S. Infantry (approx. mile away); D'Youville College (approx. mile away); Oliver Hazard Perry Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away); Holy Angels Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); William G. Fargo Mansion (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Buffalo.
 
Also see . . .  St. Mary's On the Hill Episcopal Church DEMOLISHED - Buffalo as Architectural Museum. (Submitted on January 21, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Northward on NY 266 Niagara Street image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, January 17, 2015
3. Northward on NY 266 Niagara Street
Eastward - Vermont Street image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, January 17, 2015
4. Eastward - Vermont Street
Connecticut Street Armory in background.
St. Mary's-on-the-Hill Site and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Anton Schwarzmueller, January 17, 2015
5. St. Mary's-on-the-Hill Site and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 239 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement