Wisconsin Rapids in Wood County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
“The Iron Horse in Grand Rapids”
Historic Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
1871-72 found the iron horse arriving in Grand Rapids & Centrailia. The railroad bridge replaced log, river rafting & its loss of life on the dangerous river rapids. A modern iron bridge was built to withstand the early, spring thaws. Long, tiring stagecoach & wagonrides became a thing of the past.
the following individuals & families —
H. David, Denise & Ellery Orr Hendrickson Garden Design, Inc. Ann Kroll Charles & Marion Ruelle Earle & Margaret Garber Greg Pesko & Dawn Olson Ted & Mary Olson Dr. John, Jackie & Josie Dietrich Gary & Judy Rosencrans River Cities Evening Garden Club Jerry & Julie Bach Lynn & Dwight Hopfauf Connie Coley Loden Pete & Nan Taylor Chris Maguire & Andy & Laura Stickel Randy & Carol Olson Roland & Angela Paulsen Allen J. & Susan A. Glinski Helen M. Hanneman Jim & Kelly Lucas Etta Bredl City Centre Committee Phil, Ann, Rebecca & Maria Hartley In memory of Reuben Timm Terry & Amy Whitmore family Michael Hittner family Jack & Lucy Mettlach family Downtown Revitalization Cluster of the Community Progress Initiative
Location. 44° 23.58′ N, 89° Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 West Grand Avenue, Wisconsin Rapids WI 54495, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Corenso North America (within shouting distance of this marker); Winnebago Indians (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grand Rapids of the Wisconsin River (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wood County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Myron "Grim" Natwick (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Municipal Swimming Pool (approx. 0.4 miles away but has been reported missing); Elizabeth Daly House (approx. half a mile away); V. F. W. Post 2534 Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Wisconsin Rapids.
More about this marker. The mural – not painted directly on the wall, but painted on wood panels – was part of a "Murals Walk," established by the Public Art Group of the Downtown Revitalization Cluster. It was painted in 2006 by Susan Sampson of Black River Falls.
Regarding “The Iron Horse in Grand Rapids”. Centralia, on the west side of the Wisconsin River, and Grand Rapids on the east side, were united in 1900 as Grand Rapids and in 1920 renamed Wisconsin Rapids.
Also see . . . 1923 History of Wisconsin Rapids. "The Green Bay and Lake Pepin Railway (now Green Bay & Western) first arrived here from Green Bay in November, 1872. The Wisconsin Valley Railway, now the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul, arrived from Tomah in June, 1873. The Port Edwards, Centralia & Northern, now the 'Soo' line, arrived in 1890, and the Chicago & North Western in 1901." (Submitted on January 21, 2015.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 189 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.