Buffalo in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Hunting and Fishing oﬀ the Porch
When the residents of the towpath were evicted, many of the fishing clubs were disbanded, except for the George Washington Fishing and Camping Club (founded on George Washington's birthday), which moved several times before finding a home at 2805 Niagara Street in the Town of Tonawanda.
This land was bought by the club in an effort to relocate their clubhouse. Unable to use the land, they turned it over to the City of Buffalo, who built this park and named it in their honor.
The George Washington Club, March 24 1957. Photo courtesy of Frank Plazik.
Residents staged a mock funeral the day they were evicted from the Towpath in [sic] April 1, 1957, when the City of Buffalo condemned the land to build the Thruway. The Towpath, born of one great transportation facility - the Erie Canal - was now dead by the hand of another - the New York State Thruway. Photo courtesy of the Buffalo & Erie County Historical Society.
This view of the Towpath shows the cluster of ramshakle houses and establishments lining the banks
The people who lived and gathered on the Towpath had a deep affection for the Niagara and its changing moods. With their boats moored snugly underneath their homes, they were among the city's most content residents. Photo courtesy of the Buffalo & Erie County Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Erie Canal marker series.
Location. 42° 56.862′ N, 78° 54.502′ W. Marker is in Buffalo, New York, in Erie County. Marker is at the intersection of Niagara Street (Route 266) and Collaton Street, on the right when traveling south on Niagara Street. Click for map. Marker is in George Washington Park, facing the Niagara River, not Niagara Street. The park is very narrow, sandwiched between I-190 and Niagara Street. Marker is in this post office area: Buffalo NY 14207, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Niagara River Corridor / Avian Walk (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); "The Black Rock" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bernard G. Hitro Jr. In Memory of the Sons and Daughters (approx. half a mile away); Park with a View (approx. 0.6 miles away); Erected by the Grateful People (approx. 0.6 miles away); Jubilee Springs (approx. 0.8 miles away); Buffalo and Niagara Falls Railroad (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Buffalo.
More about this marker. This area of Buffalo is known as "Riverside".
Also see . . . A Fisherman's View of the Buffalo Waterfront and Niagara River - Western New York Heritage Press. (Submitted on January 25, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.