Wisconsin Dells in Columbia County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Not a modest man, Kilbourn had the city named after him. Kilbourn City retained that name until 1931 when the townspeople renamed it Wisconsin Dells, more in keeping with the scenic river beauty here.
The original wooden bridge burned in 1866 and was immediately replaced. The second wooden bridge was replaced by an iron bridge in 1877 and by this railroad bridge in 1902.
In 1955, almost 100 years after the original bridge was built, the lower roadway was abandoned in favor of the modern structure which today carries highway traffic over the Wisconsin River.
Location. 43° 37.639′ N, 89° 46.716′ W. Marker is in Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, in Columbia County. Marker is on Broadway Street (State Highway 16/23) east of Finnegan Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is on the bridge abutment at the south side of the highway, west side of the
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bailey’s Eddy – Municipal Dock (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bailey's Landing (approx. 0.2 miles away); H. H. Bennett Studio (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stroud Bank (approx. 0.3 miles away); Stanton Peter Helland (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wisconsin Dells (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Fort Dells (approx. 0.4 miles away); Korean and Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Wisconsin Dells.
More about this marker. Marker cannot be viewed safely – the original sidewalk was removed to add a traffic lane.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,908 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.