Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Waukesha in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Waukesha City - Cutler Park

Waukesha City - Cutler Park

 
 
Waukesha City - Cutler Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Linda Hansen, October 2014
1. Waukesha City - Cutler Park Marker
Inscription. Morris D. Cutler, born June 13, 1810, was the first white settler in the Waukesha area. On May 7, 1834, he founded what is now the City of Waukesha, with his two claim-shanties and called it Prairie Village. Prior to this time, the Potawatomi had a village on this site.

First named Prairie Village by an act of the State Legislature on March 1839, it was changed to Prairieville by act of Legislature approved December 21, 1839. It retained this name until 1846 when the separation of Milwaukee and Waukesha Counties was made, and the name legally changed to Waukesha as conforming to Waukesha County and being its County Seat. On January 10, 1852, Waukesha became a village and a city in 1896.

Cutler's original holdings consisted of 160 acres and over the years he gave generously to educational and religious institutions including the land that Carroll University now stands on. He passed away on January 22, 1897, and in 1902, the city of Waukesha paid $30,000 to his heirs for nine acres for a park with the stipulation that it would be named after him and would always remain a public park. The present location of the Waukesha Public Library and Cutler Park is included in those nine acres.

The Soldiers and Sailors Monument was designated as a Historical Landmark in 2013, along with the Cutler Homestead site (1991).
Waukesha City - Cutler Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Linda Hansen, circa October 2014
2. Waukesha City - Cutler Park Marker
The original home, formerly in Cutler Park, is now located on the S.W. corner of Maple and Central Ave.
 
Erected 2013 by Waukesha County Historical Society and Museum. (Marker Number 34-15.)
 
Location. 43° 0.561′ N, 88° 13.977′ W. Marker is in Waukesha, Wisconsin, in Waukesha County. Marker is on Wisconsin Avenue near Maple Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 321 Wisconsin Avenue, Waukesha WI 53186, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Prehistoric Indian Mound (within shouting distance of this marker); Les Paul (within shouting distance of this marker); American Legion Home (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cohn's Shoe Store (about 700 feet away); Rotunda (approx. 0.2 miles away); Waukesha Civic Theatre (WCT) (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Waukesha Freeman (approx. mile away); Club 400 (approx. mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Waukesha.
 
Categories. Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
Waukesha City - Cutler Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By Linda Hansen, circa October 2014
3. Waukesha City - Cutler Park Marker
This is the Soldiers and Sailors Monument mentioned on the marker. It is in Cutler Park to the left of the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 264 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Linda Hansen of Waukesha, Wisconsin. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement