Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Taneytown in Carroll County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Painting the Town Red

 
 
Painting the Town Red Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
1. Painting the Town Red Marker
Inscription. John Augustus Dempwolf, a Pennsylvania architect, was asked to design Trinity Lutheran Church in 1896. He had previously designed the Taneytown Presbyterian Church in 1883 and the Hagan House and Grocery Store in 1890. Several other prominent residents also had their houses, stores, and even stables created by Dempwolf's architectural firm.

All of the Dempwolf buildings incorporate similar materials red brick with red mortar joints and slate roofs. The thin brick came from Tobias Eckenrode's brick yard near the railroad tracks, and Taneytown's brick mason, Daniel Fair, constructed each building.

Other unique buildings by the Dempwolf firm include the Edward Reindollar House and Barn (1896) on York Street and the Birnie Trust Company (1898) on East Baltimore Street. The Birnie Bank and House and the Hagan House and Store are two different examples of how Dempwolf designed a private house into a commercial structure, yet kept the living and work spaces separate.

“In the latter part of summer that year, the Frederick and Pennsylvania Line Railroad reached here, and from that time to the present,... about 65 buildings have been put up, most of them dwelling houses.” — Dr. Clotworthy Birnie, the Carroll Record, 1894.
 
Erected by Maryland State
Painting the Town Red Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
2. Painting the Town Red Marker
Highway Administration.
 
Location. 39° 39.47′ N, 77° 10.46′ W. Marker is in Taneytown, Maryland, in Carroll County. Marker is on East Balimore Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. In front of the new Taneytown Police Station. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 East Baltimore Street, Taneytown MD 21787, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Everything from Bags of Flour to the President's Shoes (here, next to this marker); Zile's Ice Cream (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Heart of Our Town (approx. 0.2 miles away); Extra! Extra! (approx. 0.2 miles away); Adam Good Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); Everyone is Welcome (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Steps of the Sisters" (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1st Lieutenant John E. Buffington (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Taneytown.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable Buildings
 
John Dempwolf, Architect image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
3. John Dempwolf, Architect
John Augustus Dempwolf with members of his firm, including his brother Reinhardt, taken circa 1900. The Dempwolf Firm was well known in northern Maryland, with buildings in Frederick, Westminster, and Bel Air.
Close-up of photo on marker
Directors of The Carroll Record image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
4. Directors of The Carroll Record
In addition to being the town's leading businessmen, Edward Reindollar and George Birnie were the directors of The Carroll Record. Taneytown's newspaper. Also pictured is John Bower, who ran the local hardware store.
Close-up of photo on marker
Preaching Style image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
5. Preaching Style
The Taneytown Presbyterian Church is a preaching style building, with a small communion table in front of the central pulpit. Side aisles allow the congregation to sit directly in front of the pulpit to hear the preacher (current photo).
Close-up of photo on marker
The Taneytown Presbyterian Church<br>36 York Street image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
6. The Taneytown Presbyterian Church
36 York Street
“The building was erected in 1883 for a total cost of $3.600. It is Victorian Gothic Ecclesiastical style with a side gable entrance & a tall pointed spire. The interior has its original woodwork & pews. Both the exterior and interior are in an excellent state of preservation.” — Taneytown Walking Tour pamphlet.
The Hagan House & Store<br>6–8 Frederick Street image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
7. The Hagan House & Store
6–8 Frederick Street
“Sometime prior to 1798, Adam Good operated a tavern at this location. His sign read, "A dam Good Tavern, Entertainment for Man & Beast". George & Martha Washington stayed here overnight in the summer of 1791 . The inn was a log structure, but later became a brick structure of 2 stories. The present building dates from 1890, when N. B. Hagan occupied the house. He had a confectionery/grocery store. The business section has served as a soda fountain/bowling alley, printing business, restaurant and antique shop. The building is a Classical Revival style in an "H" shaped plan. ” — Taneytown Walking Tour pamphlet.
Trinity Lutheran Church<br>28 West Baltimore Street image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
8. Trinity Lutheran Church
28 West Baltimore Street
“The first church on this lot was dedicated in1813. In l84l, l87l & 1897 remodelings were completed. For all appearances, the church was a new structure, but contains a large part of the original walls, which can be viewed at the rear of the building. Basically the church is Romanesque in style. The former belfry was used as a signal tower before the Battle of Gettysburg in 1863, using flags by day and flares by night.” — Taneytown Walking Tour Pamphlet.
The Edward Reindollar House<br>9 York Street image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
9. The Edward Reindollar House
9 York Street
“Mr. Edward Reindollar, owner of the Reindollar Co. had this residence built by Daniel Fair, a local builder in 1896. It is of Ornate Classical Revival style with unusual features, namely, the terra cotta plaque in the central bay of the 2nd story, flanked by curved windows on each side of the Palladian windows set in the cross gables on the 3rd floor. The house and the carriage house at the rear. (flower/gift shop) have recently been restored by the present owner. ” — Taneytown Walking Tour Pamphlet.
Terra Cotta Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
10. Terra Cotta Plaque
on the Edward Reindollar House
The Birnie Trust Co. Buildings<br> 103–105 East Baltimore Street North image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, January 2, 2015
11. The Birnie Trust Co. Buildings
103–105 East Baltimore Street North
“George H. Birnie built this structure in 1899. The left side of the building was his residence and the right side was the bank. The Style is a combination of Victorian style (two story peaked roof & original bay window); the column entrance and arched window on the bank portion, are Classical Revival styles. This building was remodeled twice before the business moved to a new building down the street. Today it is an apartment house.” — Taneytown Walking Tour Pamphlet.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 255 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement