“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jarrell in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)


Jarrell Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, January 27, 2015
1. Jarrell Marker
Inscription. During the early 1900s, plans were made for the construction of the Bartlett and Western Railway to run from Bartlett to Florence. The line was to serve as a feeder to the MK&T (Katy) Railroad, which passed daily through Bartlett. Temple real estate developer Orlando D. Jarrell encouraged railroad executives to direct the route through a portion of property that he leased, rather than through the established town of Corn Hill, situated two miles to the south. Jarrell partnered with E.C. Haeber of Bartlett who provided the capital to purchase the property. Jarrell then platted a townsite and began to sell lots in December 1909. By December 1911, when the railroad finally arrived in Jarrell, most of the residents of Corn Hill had moved to the new town. In fact, between 20 and 25 structures were also moved from Corn Hill to Jarrell.

In 1911, E.M. Wilson, a cotton buyer from Taylor, built a mercantile, bank, and hardware shop in downtown Jarrell. A post office was first opened in the town on March 8, 1912. Jarrell's first school was a frame structure, and a two-story brick building was constructed in 1916. Three cotton gins in Jarrell processed the crop on which the town was so dependent. However, the decline of the cotton industry during the 1920s & 1930s along with the closing of the Bartlett and Western Railway in 1935 resulted
Jarrell Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, January 27, 2015
2. Jarrell Marker
Marker is visible in left of frame. View is looking southeast down N 5th with I-35 in distance.
in a significant population decline. The town's 1914 peak population of 500 declined to 200 by 1930, but again grew to 350 by 1945.

Jarrell made national news headlines when a May 27, 1997 tornado killed 27 residents and injured many others. The town of Jarrell carried on, incorporated in 2001, and has since experienced rapid population growth.
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15926.)
Location. 30° 49.58′ N, 97° 36.353′ W. Marker is in Jarrell, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on North 5th Street north of East Avenue H, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jarrell TX 76537, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Corn Hill Community (approx. 1.5 miles away); Cornhill Cemetery (approx. 1.7 miles away); Daniel Harrison (approx. 1.7 miles away); Community of Theon (approx. 4.4 miles away); Zion Lutheran Church (approx. 5.8 miles away); Stockton Family Cemetery (approx. 7.6 miles away); James B. Williams (approx. 8.3 miles away); Lawler Community (approx. 8.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Jarrell.
More about this marker. Marker is located next to the Jarrell Tornado Memorial.
Categories. DisastersRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 152 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the Jarrell Tornado Memorial. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement