Near Dickerson in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Invasion or Liberation.
—Antietam Campaign 1862 —
The largely indifferent reaction to the Confederates as they entered Montgomery County was described by a Missouri soldier, “Instead of an outburst of overflowing joy, at the sight of their deliverers, not one solitary soul had come to the River bank to see us cross or welcome us to the soil.” A resident recalled the veteran troops as “the dirtiest, filthiest, piratical-looking, cutthroat men I ever saw.... Yet there was a dash about them that the Northern men lacked.”
The invaders passed the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal via road culverts and bridges erected by their engineers. Walls of the canal were breached to disrupt commerce and the enemy’s supply lines, but efforts to destroy the Monocacy Aqueduct were unsuccessful.
As the largest part of the Confederate army marched toward Frederick, Gen. J.E.B. Stuart’s cavalry formed a protective screen to the south.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, and the Maryland Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 9.32′ N, 77° 31.1′ W. Marker is near Dickerson, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on the White’s Ferry parking lot near Whites Ferry Road (Maryland Route 107), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. It is in a group of three markers at the far end of the parking lot. Marker is in this post office area: Dickerson MD 20842, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 1862 Antietam Campaign (here, next to this marker); Gettysburg Campaign (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named White’s Ferry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chesapeake & Ohio Canal (about 400 feet away); Sharpsburg (Antietam) Campaign (approx. 1.2 miles away in Virginia). Click for a list of all markers in Dickerson.
More about this marker. The marker displays portraits of Gens. Robert E. Lee and George B. McClellan on the upper left. On the lower left is a depiction of The Confederate army crosses the Potomac River into Maryland. A map of the 1862 Antietam Campaign, highlighting other Civil War Trails sites, is on the right.
Regarding White’s Ferry.
Also see . . . Captain Elijah Viers White, CSA. Captain White was a Partisan Ranger from Loudoun County, Virginia early in the Civil War and served under Robert E. Lee. He purchased Conrad's Ferry after the war and named it White's Ferry. (Submitted on January 13, 2007.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,822 times since then and 166 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 4, 5. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.