Between 1881 and 1917 Andrew Carnegie provided funds for 2,509 public libraries in the United States, Canada, and Britain. One of these was this building, which was the Manhattan Public Library from 1904 to 1969, when it became the Courthouse Annex.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Carnegie Libraries marker series.
Location. 39° 10.78′ N, 96° 33.814′ W. Marker is in Manhattan, Kansas, in Riley County. Marker is at the intersection of Poyntz Avenue and 5th Street, on the right when traveling west on Poyntz Avenue. Click for map. Former library is just west of the county courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Manhattan KS 66502, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Riley County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Amanda Arnold Arch (within shouting distance of this marker); The American Veteran (within shouting distance of this marker); Damon Runyon (approx. 0.2 miles away); Osage Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Colorado Street (approx. ¼ mile away); Change & Growth (approx. 0.3 miles away); Yuma Street (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Manhattan.
Also see . . .
1. Carnegie Libraries: The Future Made Bright
2. History of Andrew Carnegie and Carnegie Libraries. (Submitted on February 12, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Carnegie Collections at Columbia University. (Submitted on February 12, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Education • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 165 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.