Bellevue in Sarpy County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Fontenelle Bank - County Courthouse
In 1861 by authority of the Territorial Legislature the building was acquired by Sarpy County for use as the courthouse. In 1875 the County Seat was moved to Papillion. The city of Bellevue then utilized the building as the Town Hall until 1960, when a municipal building was completed. In 1961 Mrs. Harold D. LeMar purchased the building for preservation. In 1969 this rare structure was entered in the National Register of Historic Places. with the aid of a grant for historic preservation from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, the building was purchased by the City of Bellevue and restored. In the history of Nebraska, buildings such as this have given service as the transition has been made from frontier settlements to modern communities. It has been preserved as one of the earliest public buildings in the State and remains a tribute to the heritage of Bellevue and Nebraska.
Erected by Mrs. Harold LeMar and the Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 163.)
Location. 41° Click for map. The building is located on the northwest corner of the intersection. Marker is at or near this postal address: Main Street, Bellevue NE 68005, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bellevue Log Cabin (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bellevue Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Big Elk, Bellevue Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); Oto Mission (approx. 4.7 miles away); Western Historic Trails Center; Starting the Journey (approx. 6.3 miles away in Iowa); Seeking Buyers and Sellers (approx. 6.3 miles away in Iowa); We Were All Busily Engaged (approx. 6.3 miles away in Iowa); Mormon Battalion Mustering Grounds (approx. 7.1 miles away in Iowa). Click for a list of all markers in Bellevue.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 112 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on . 2. submitted on , by Joan Shurtliff of Seward, Nebraska. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.