Harleyville in Dorchester County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Harleyville is named for the Harley family who owned much of the land that comprises the present town. William "Cow Bill" Harley owned substantial property in this vicinity and raised cattle for the Charleston market. In 1885 he sold a right of way across his land to the Eutawville Railroad, which built a road between Pregnall,s and Eutaw Springs with Harleyville a regular stop. The railroad spurred development of the lumber industry and the town was incorporated in 1893.
Erected 2014 by The Upper Dorchester County Historical Society. (Marker Number 1821.)
Location. 33° 12.873′ N, 80° Click for map. Marker is located east of the railroad tracks. Marker is in this post office area: Harleyville SC 29448, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Paul Camp Ground (approx. 2.1 miles away); Dorchester (approx. 6 miles away); Berkeley County (approx. 7 miles away); Spring Hill Methodist Church (approx. 7.2 miles away); Four Holes Swamp Bridge / Harley's Tavern (approx. 7.4 miles away); Four Holes Swamp (approx. 7.4 miles away); Revolutionary War Cannon (approx. 7.4 miles away); Moorefield Memorial Highway, (Southern Terminus) (approx. 7.5 miles away).
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dean Moss McCracken of Lakeland, Florida. This page has been viewed 207 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Dean Moss McCracken of Lakeland, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.