Cataldo in Kootenai County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
Old Mission of the Sacred Heart
Black-robed Jesuits founded the mission on the St. Joe River in 1842, but moved here in 1846 and raised this imposing building in a complete wilderness. Dwellings and outbuildings are now gone, and the mission moved to Desmet in 1877, but the Mass is still celebrated here every year. (Marker Number 144.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Idaho State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 47° 33.082′ N, 116° 21.483′ W. Marker is in Cataldo, Idaho, in Kootenai County. Marker is on Dredge Road near Interstate 90. Click for map. In Old Mission Park, off exit 39. Marker is in this post office area: Cataldo ID 83810, United States of America.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Lila Diller of Statesville, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,167 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Lila Diller of Statesville, North Carolina. 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.