“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Branchville in Sussex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Sussex Railroad

Sussex Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, May 31, 2008
1. Sussex Railroad Marker
Inscription. In 1869, due to the efforts of a prominent Branchville resident, William H. Bell, the Sussex Railroad was completed, ending in Branchville borough. The line, finished by Bell himself, was for a time referred to as the “Branchville Railroad.” The first passenger train arrived on July 3, 1869.
Among the facilities located on this site, were the Branchville Station, Engine House, Livestock Chute, Water Tower, and a 57-foot diameter turntable. This turntable was used to turn locomotives, by hand, for their return trip to points east. This plaque is attached to the stone that formed part of the foundation of that turntable.
The Sussex Railroad became part of the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad, and, in turn, part of the Erie-Lackawanna Railroad in 1960. Several years later, due to the decline of eastern railroading, the Erie-Lackawanna abandoned the line from Branchville to Andover, New Jersey.

The last passenger train left this site on July 10, 1966.
The station, moved to an adjacent site for restoration, was destroyed by a winter storm in 1994.
We, the citizens of Branchville, New Jersey, dedicate this monument on September 26, 1998, in the 100th year of our incorporation.
Erected 1998 by Borough of Branchville.
Marker on Railroad Avenue image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, May 31, 2008
2. Marker on Railroad Avenue
During construction of the Branchville firehouse, in the early 1990s, the remains of the old turntable were discovered. One of the stones from the wall of the turntable was used as a base for the Sussex Railroad plaque, as seen in the photo.
41° 8.767′ N, 74° 44.808′ W. Marker is in Branchville, New Jersey, in Sussex County. Marker is at the intersection of Railroad Avenue and Broad Street, on the left when traveling north on Railroad Avenue. Click for map. The Sussex Railroad Marker is located in front of the Branchville Firehouse. Marker is in this post office area: Branchville NJ 07826, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Branchville, NJ (approx. mile away); Augusta Hill Baptists (approx. 1.8 miles away); Twin Bridges (approx. 3.1 miles away); Stokes State Forest (approx. 3.7 miles away); Northwest New Jersey Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.4 miles away); The Lafayette Foundry (approx. 4.5 miles away); Unknown Soldier of the Revolution (approx. 4.9 miles away); Sussex County Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Branchville.
More about this marker. The bottom of the marker contains a picture of a locomotive and a car, with the caption “Sussex Railroad Number 6, “Old Sussex”
Also see . . .  Newton and the Iron Horse. A History of the Sussex Railroad. (Submitted on June 1, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
Marker at Branchville Firehouse image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, May 31, 2008
3. Marker at Branchville Firehouse
The marker is at the site of the Branchville Depot, and terminus of the Sussex Railroad.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,020 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement