“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Ponte Vedra Beach in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)

Governor Grant's Plantations

Governer Grant's Plantations Marker image. Click for full size.
By John A Sanders, circa January 2015
1. Governer Grant's Plantations Marker
Inscription. In 1768, James Grant (1720-1806), Governor of British East Florida from 1763 to 1773, established Grant's Villa Plantation at the juncture of the Guana and North Rivers. Enslaved Africans cleared the 1,450-acre tract of land, planted indigo seeds, and processed the plants into blue indigo dye. Indigo dye became East Florida's main export, and Grant's Villa was its most profitable plantation. By 1780, due to declining soil fertility and the disruption of transportation routes during the American Revolution, indigo cultivation was no longer profitable. Ordered to develop a new estate 12 miles north at the headwaters of Guana River, overseer William Brockie and the slaves completed Mount Pleasant Plantation in 1781. Just south of today's Mickler Road, between SR A1A and Neck Road, the slaves built two earthen dams which enclosed a 220-acre rice field. The dam on the south blocked the flow of salty tidal water. The barricade to the north created a fresh water reservoir. In 1784, following the return of East Florida to Spain, both plantations were abandoned and the enslaved Africans were transported to The Bahamas, from where they were sold to rice planters in South Carolina.
Erected 2004 by A Florida Heritage Landmark sponsored by St. Johns County and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-513.)
Location. 30° 1.401′ N, 81° 19.624′ W. Marker is near Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker can be reached from Guana River Road 0.2 miles west of South Ponte Vedra Boulevard (Florida Route A1A), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Located in Guana State Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2690 South Ponte Vedra Boulevard, Ponte Vedra Beach FL 32082, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. King's Road (approx. 3.9 miles away); Nine Mile Road (approx. 4.5 miles away but has been reported missing); Former St. Johns County Jail (approx. 5.8 miles away); El Pueblo de Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de Mose (approx. 6.5 miles away); 30 8' North Latitude (approx. 6.5 miles away); African Origins (approx. 6.6 miles away); Surfside Dance Hall and Bathhouse (approx. 7.2 miles away); 10 Hildreth Drive (approx. 7.3 miles away).
Categories. African AmericansColonial EraHorticulture & ForestryLandmarksSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by John A Sanders of Saint Johns, Florida. This page has been viewed 184 times since then and 83 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by John A Sanders of Saint Johns, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement