Gretna in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
police jury of Jefferson Parish
F.H. Hatch, Pres.,
Geo. Bossey • H. Eloi
H. WIlkinson • L.H. Marrero
W. M. Naudain • N. Le Bouef
held their first meeting in this
William Tell Hall marking Gretna
as the fourth Parish Seat, a
distinction the city still retains.
Erected June 4, 1884
Donation by City of Gretna
Building Constructed Circa 1875
Erected 1984 by the City of Gretna.
Location. 29° 55.02′ N, 90° 3.867′ W. Marker is in Gretna, Louisiana, in Jefferson Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Newton Street and 3rd Street, on the right when traveling south on Newton Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 238 Newton Street, Gretna LA 70053, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gretna City Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mel Ott (about 500 feet away); Phoenix Iron Works (about 700 feet away); David Crockett Firehall (about 800 feet away); Derbigny Plantation Saint Joseph Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); City of Gretna (approx. half a mile away); McDonoghville (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Gretna.
Regarding Centennial Marker. This plaque, purchased by the Jefferson Parish Historical Commission in 1984, commemorates the 100th anniversary of Gretna as the seat of government of Jefferson Parish. The William Tell Hall served as the Jefferson Parish Courthouse from 1884 to 1907.
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 193 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.