Thibodaux in Lafourche Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
City of Thibodaux / Ville de Thibodaux
Incorporated as a town on March 10, 1838. Early records show settlement existed in late 1790's as an important trading post for the Lafourche country. Named for Henri Schuyler Thibodaux (1769-1827), who gave the first land for the early village.
Devenue une ville le 10 mars 1838. Des documents anciens montrent qu'une colonie existait deja en cet endroit vers la fin due XVIIIieme. C'tait un poste important de traite pour la region de LaFourche. Elle porte de nom Henri Schuyler Thibodeaux (1769-1827) qui fit don des premieres terres pour la construction du village.
Erected 1971 by the Louisiana Tourist Commission.
Location. 29° 47.746′ N, 90° 48.078′ W. Marker is in Thibodaux, Louisiana, in Lafourche Parish. Marker is on East 1st Street (Louisiana Route 1) 0.1 miles west of Bowie Road, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 907 East 1st Street, Thibodaux LA 70301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this Our Confederate Dead (approx. half a mile away); The St. Joseph Cemetery Calvary-Grotto Shrine (approx. half a mile away); St. Joseph Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Rienzi Plantation House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Site of Mount Carmel Academy (approx. 0.9 miles away); Laurel Valley (approx. one mile away); Moses, Allen Chapel, Calvary Cemeteries (approx. 1.1 miles away); Saint Joseph Church (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Thibodaux.
Also see . . . History of Thibodaux (Wikipedia article). (Submitted on February 25, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 139 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.