Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Sylvester in Fisher County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Newman Community and Cemetery

 
 
Newman Community and Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, February 14, 2015
1. Newman Community and Cemetery Marker
Inscription. Jim Newman, one of Fisher County’s earliest settlers, established a ranch in this area about 1879. The community that developed near his ranch was named Newman when the county’s first post office opened here in 1881. The town consisted of the old Newman and Union Hall schools, a post office / grocery store, and the Newman Baptist Church by 1901.
     The Newman Cemetery was legally set aside in a deed conveying property at this site for cemetery purposes in 1906. The first persons buried here were Miller Phigpen and J.E.W. Scott in 1906. Among the sixteen veterans of various wars buried here is American Civil War veteran R.L. Creswell.
     The Methodist Episcopal Church built a sanctuary here about 1908. Union Hall and old Newman schools consolidated in 1913, and in 1924 a new brick schoolhouse was constructed. In 1929 the Methodist Episcopal and Baptist churches erected new sanctuaries. A steady decline in the area’s population resulted in the dissolution of the Methodist Church in 1940, the school in the early 1940s and the Baptist Church about 1950. Vestiges of the town’s church and school structures and the still active Newman Cemetery are all that remain of the former town of Newman.
 
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3591.)
 
Location.
Entrance to Newman Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, February 14, 2015
2. Entrance to Newman Cemetery
32° 36.999′ N, 100° 12.843′ W. Marker is near Sylvester, Texas, in Fisher County. Marker is on County Road 163 east of County Road 161, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Trent TX 79561, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 18 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Adair - Steadman Site (approx. 6 miles away); Woods Chapel Cemetery (approx. 9.7 miles away); Boyd Chapel Community (approx. 12.4 miles away); Neinda Baptist Church (approx. 14.5 miles away); Neinda Community (approx. 14.8 miles away); Trammell House (approx. 15.8 miles away); Site of U.S. Army Air Corps Plane Crash (approx. 17.2 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Newman, TX (Fisher County). From the Texas State Historical Association’s “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on February 28, 2015.) 

2. Newman Cemetery - Find A Grave Website. (Submitted on February 28, 2015.)
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & Settlers
 
View to East from County Road 163 image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, February 14, 2015
3. View to East from County Road 163
View to West from County Road 163 image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, February 14, 2015
4. View to West from County Road 163
Newman Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, February 14, 2015
5. Newman Cemetery
View to north across County Road 163
Newman Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, February 14, 2015
6. Newman Cemetery
View to southwest from center of cemetery
Newman Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, February 14, 2015
7. Newman Cemetery
View to northwest from southeast corner of cemetery
Newman Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, February 14, 2015
8. Newman Cemetery
View to south from center of cemetery
Former town site of Newman is south of cemetery across County Road 163
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 210 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement