Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ogden in Weber County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

The Palace Billiard Hall

272 - 25th Street

 
 
The Palace Billiard Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 27, 2014
1. The Palace Billiard Hall Marker
Inscription. This building was constructed circa. 1888 by James O. Stephens and was one of several buildings constructed during this time period by members of the Stephens family on the north side of the 200 block of 25th Street (e.g. 260, 274 and 278). The building was built for investment purposes and retail rental space. The Stephens family owned it until 1894, when they sold it to Eccles Lumber Company. The building was owned by the infamous 25th Street “madam” Dora Belle Topham, from 1906 until 1912. Other owners included Utah Mercantile, Land and Livestock Investment Company (1912-1915), James Ballard (1916-1922), and Malan-Wheelwright Investment Company (1922-1946).

The earliest businesses known to have occupied the building were the Palace Billiard Hall; Waker & Solomon, Cigars; and G.W. Jones, Railroad Ticket Broker and Real Estate (upstairs). The first long-term business was Edwin Williams; Grocery (1895-1902). The building housed a billiard hall from 1911 until 1917, changing owners almost every year; the majority of owners were members of the Japanese community which existed in the city. Businesses known to have occupied the building after 1935 include LaSalle Tavern, Calico Cat Bar, and Swan Club Tavern. The building was renovated in 1989 to accommodate the present owner-occupant, Great Harvest Bread Company.

The
The Palace Billiard Hall image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, August 27, 2014
2. The Palace Billiard Hall
brick structure is a two-story, two-part block building with decorative brick work on the cornice and above the second story windows. The storefront reflects the typical characteristics along Historic 25th Street, e.g., the square bay transom windows, a fancy metal cornice, and a recessed central entryway door flanked by large display windows on either side.
 
Erected 1995 by Ogden City Landmarks Commission.
 
Location. 41° 13.25′ N, 111° 58.439′ W. Marker is in Ogden, Utah, in Weber County. Marker is on 25th Street (East 2500 South) near Grant Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 272 25th Street, Ogden UT 84401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Livingston Confectionary (here, next to this marker); Gasberg Building (a few steps from this marker); The Solomon C. Stephens Building (a few steps from this marker); Union Restaurant and Switch European Lodgings (within shouting distance of this marker); Creston Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); London Ice Cream Parlor (within shouting distance of this marker); Kansas City Liquor House (within shouting distance of this marker); Davenport Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Ogden.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 176 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement