Oriskany in Oneida County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Oriskany Battle Monument
Spurred on by the centennial festivities, funds for a monument were collected. This monument, erected from the stones of the dismantled Erie Canal weigh lock at Utica, was dedicated in 1884.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 43° 10.632′ N, 75° 22.176′ W. Marker was in Oriskany, New York, in Oneida County. Marker could be reached from Rome-Oriskany Road (New York State Route 69) 0.4 miles east of Monument Road, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. This marker was located at the Oriskany Battlefield State Historic Site park, in front of the southwest face of the Oriskany Battlefield Memorial Monument outside the metal fence. Marker was in this post office area: Oriskany NY 13424, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Here the Battle of Oriskany Was Fought (here, next to this marker); The Rally Relief for Fort Stanwix (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Oriskany Battlefield (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of The Battle of Oriskany (within shouting distance of this marker); A Clash of Cultures (within shouting distance of this marker); Alliances Drawn (within shouting distance of this marker); Campaign of 1777 (within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing). Click for a list of all markers in Oriskany.
Regarding The Oriskany Battle Monument. A drawing at the lower left shows a crowd on the undulating battlefield grounds, captioned, "Oriskany Centennial - The Oriskany Centennial celebration, from Frank Leslie's Illustrated Newspaper, August 25, 1877."
A photograph of the Dedication of the Oriskany Monument is shown at the lower right (See Photo #3).
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Graff of Halifax, Nova Scotia. This page has been viewed 229 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Graff of Halifax, Nova Scotia. 4. submitted on . • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.