Abilene in Taylor County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Macedonia Baptist Church
The first commencement exercises for African American students in Abilene were held about 1923 in the sanctuary of Macedonia Baptist Church. The single graduate that year was a member of the church.
In 1936, a longtime member, H.D. Cumby, was called as minister. Under his consistent leadership the church was expanded and remodeled frequently, with the construction of an entirely new and modern building in 1951. Dyess Air Force Base, opened in 1956, greatly contributed to the growth of the church and its membership. The Rev. H.D. Cumby retired in 1965 shortly before his death.
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12219.)
Location. 32° 27.327′ N, 99° 43.662′ W. Marker is in Abilene, Texas, in Taylor County. Marker is on N. 7th Street 0.1 miles west of Treadaway Boulevard (Business U.S. 83), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Abilene TX 79601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Abilene African-American Schools (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. William & Beatrice Butler House (about 600 feet away); Mount Zion Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mexican-American / Americanization School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Abilene Negro High School (approx. ¼ mile away); James Winford Hunt (approx. ¼ mile away); Thomas Middlebrook Willis (approx. ¼ mile away); Claiborne Walker Merchant (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Abilene.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. • Civil Rights • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 142 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.