Benjamin in Knox County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Settlement in Knox County / L – Ranch
Hilory G. Bedford, Founder
R.P. Dimmitt Rufus Browder G.B. Stewart L.W. Ricketts J.W. Hinton S.T. Cooper T.G. Stewart Ed W. Bedford H.L. Hayes A.E. Brannin R.D. Goree H.C. Thompson
To assure these families church and school privileges, H.G. Bedford started the town of Benjamin in 1885, naming it for his eldest son. He gave 640 acres for a townsite, reserving 40 acres for a public square. He sold the remainder to these families at $5 per tract.
In 1886 he was instrumental in organizing the county with Benjamin as the county seat.
“See Other Side”
In 1884 H.G. Bedford formed the Wichita and Brazos Stock Company to own and operate the L Bar Ranch. Retaining 51% of the stock, he became president. R.P. Dimmitt was secretary. Many of the first settlers of Benjamin sold their land and cattle to the company and became stockholders.
The company maintained a herd of some 8,000 cattle on open range between the Wichita and Brazos rivers. Headquarters were 4 miles N.E. of the Narrows near the center of the present John Ed Jones Ranch. The company brand was S on the neck and L– on the left side.
The ranch prospered until the winter of 1886
Erected 1966 A.D. in tribute to H.G. Bedford and other first settlers by their descendants
Sponsored by Miss Lenoir Dimmitt and Knox County Historical Society
Erected 1966 by Leonoir Dimmitt and Knox County Historical Society. (Marker Number 1865.)
Location. 33° 35.003′ N, 99° 47.571′ W. Marker is in Benjamin, Texas, in Knox County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of S. Hinton Street (State Highway 6) and W. Hays Street (U.S. 82), on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is on the east side of the grounds of the Knox County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Benjamin TX 79505, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Knox County (a few steps from this marker); Original Old Rock Courthouse Cornerstone (within shouting distance of this marker); The Narrows (approx. 4.4 miles away).
More about this marker. As noted by the Texas
Also see . . . Benjamin, TX. From the Texas State Historical Associations “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on March 8, 2015.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 214 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.