Crowell in Foard County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Est. Feb. 21, 1891
On Feb. 12, 1891, John H. Stephens of Vernon introduced the bill to call the new co. “Beaver”. However, another senator had a law partner he wished to honor. Senator Townsend struck out the word “Beaver” and substituted the name “Foard”. The bill was passed on Feb. 16, 1891 and signed on Feb. 21, 1891.
Crowell and Foard City both vied for the co. seat honors. An election was held on Apr. 27, 1891. When the votes were cast and counted, Crowell was the new co. seat with 183 votes while 106 were cast for Foard City.
According to the hands of the clock in the dome of the badly wrecked court house, the twister struck that building at 8:40 pm (April 28, 1942) tearing out all the clock mechanism and leaving only the dial facing the east intact.
The twister had left 11 dead, 125 injured and over 1500 homeless, Ninety percent of buildings (business and homes) were destroyed or damaged. Fire wiped out one business block.
Residents were helped by 200 Civilian Conservation Corps workers
With World War II hardly five months old, building materials were hard to obtain as most of the material was going to the military as the nation prepared to fight Germany, Japan and Italy.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
Location. 33° 59.014′ N, 99° 43.481′ W. Marker is in Crowell, Texas, in Foard County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Main Street (State Highway 6) and Commerce Street (U.S. 70), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is located near the front (west) entrance to the Foard County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Crowell TX 79227, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Foard County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); First Officials of Foard County (a few steps from this marker); Robert L. Foard (a few steps from this marker); Pease River Battlefield (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Quanah Parker and the Comanches Foard County (approx. 3 miles away); Site of Old Pease City (approx. 5.4 miles away); Medicine Mound Community (approx. 15.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Crowell.
More about this marker. The monument marker was made by Willis Granite Products, Granite, Oklahoma.
As part of the monument, stone tiles were placed around and near the monument. A number of the tiles are inscribed with the family histories of pioneer families of Foard County with other tiles inscribed with the names and organizations of Foard County families and businesses.
Also see . . .
1. Foard County. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on March 12, 2015.)
2. Crowell, TX. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on March 12, 2015.)
Categories. • Disasters • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 79 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.